- A different sort of Hope…a story for families and providers by Atul Gawande, MD
- For validity, the POLST requires 2 signatures…read more
- The NV POLST may not be as simple as it seems…contact us about FREE Training
- THERE IS AN ERROR ON THE POLST FORM. The format for the patient’s name is the European format (dd/mm/yr). To avoid confusion, enter the date of birth using a 3 letter month abbreviation. For example: Oct. 11, 1944.
POLST – Physician Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment
Through a conversation between the patient and health care provider, patient wishes are translated to actionable medical orders. Additionally, the POLST program coordinates efforts between health care setting to assure POLST medical orders are transferred with the patient and, very importantly, unlike an Advance Directive, emergency medical services are able to honor the directives on the POLST.
The following are the 3 key features of the POLST program:
1) The POLST form is completed with your health care professional to direct the kinds of treatment you want in a medical crisis. As a seriously ill patient, POLST orders help give you more control over the treatments you do or do not want to receive. The form works even if you later lose the ability to speak for yourself.
2) The POLST form becomes a medical order after a discussion with your health care provider about your treatment preferences and it is signed and dated by both you (or your representative) and your physician. Since it is a medical order that will be followed in an emergency, it is important that it reflect your wishes now, in your current state of health.
3) Providers ensure that the POLST form actually travels with the patient whenever and wherever they may be transferred, whether to another facility or home. This is accomplished through coordinated training between facilities and emergency medical services (paramedics) and patients and their loved ones. All are taught to always present the POLST, if the patient is transferring from home or a facility, or to request the POLST if a patient is being transferred to home or a facility, so everyone is reminded that it should go with the patient. Click here to find out more about the POLST program.
Printing and Ordering POLST Forms
POLST forms may only be ordered by health care providers. Individuals seeking to obtain a POLST form should speak to their physician. Health care providers: click here to order Nevada POLST forms.