Nevada POLST Post Articles and Past Issues
The Nevada POLST Post is published and emailed quarterly. To request your email be added to the mailing list, please click here.
For a list of back issues, please click here.
By clicking on one of the articles below, you will be taken to the issue in which it appeared. You may need to scroll to the second page of the issue.
- Nursing and Social Work CEUs – Announcing that webinar training with and without continuing education credit is now available for Nevada POLST trainings. Dates, times and registration can be found here.
- Spanish Nevada POLST Available – A spanish translation of the POLST form is now available for download. It is for information purposes only.
- POLST Monthly Webinar Trainings – Webinars covering the full overview of the Nevada POLST program or just recent updates are now availabe via online webinars. Dates, times and registration can be found here.
- POLST Resources – A new monthly feature that introduces some of the resources available to providers.
- Talking to Patients: Cardiac Arrest vs. Death – This article cautions against confusing cardiac arrest and death.Pg. 2.
- The Revised POLST is Now Available – Announcing the POLST form approved by the Nevada Health Department and now available to order.
- POLST Orders Now Available Directly from the State Authorized POLST forms are now only available from the State of Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health, through a link on our website.
- POLST – Appropriate Use, II A continuation of the first of this series in the June 2017 issue. Discusses best practices and standards of care.
- The New POLST form Displays Side 1, the Medical Order of the newly revised Nevada POLST form.
- AB 199 Becomes Law – A review of POLST legislation passed in the 2017 session and highlights of implementation
- Changes to POLST Board of Directors – Meet Nevada POLST’s new President
- POLST – Appropriate Use – Be sure you are adhering to guidelines, legislation and good practice
- A Different Sort of Hope – Just when you thin< there may be no hope…how to find it/li>
- Recommendations for Integrating POLST into EHRs – Offers recommendations for the effective integration of POLST
- Nevada POLST is Changing – Part II – Transfer of POLST form orders shifts to the State of Nevada
- Nevada POLST is Changing – Part I – Updates on the pending legislation under consideration
- Changes to Nevada POLST? – Discusses the proposed changes to be considered for legislative revision in 2017
- National Survey Reports on Barriers to Advance Care Planning Discussions – Reports the findings to suggest why EOL conversations are not more common or comfortable for physicians.
- The Conversation, Treatments and Resources – Commentary on resource allocation
- Quality Measures are Needed – Examines the challenge to assure that Nevada POLST is an effective program.
- Frailty – Let’s Get on the Same Page – Clinical Assessments – Because frailty is a POLST qualifier, it is a good idea to be on the same page in determining degrees of frailty.
- POLST Reciprocity – Discusses the use of POLST from other states and when transferring a patient to another state.
- POLST May Not Be Appropriate for Code Status – Clarifications of when to use a traditional DNR order, when to use a POLST form and the requirements of POLST for admission.
- Decision Guides for Patients and Families Explain End-of-Life Treatment Options – Presents handouts in laymen’s terms for patients and their loved ones explaining resuscitation, artificial nutrition and hydration, etc.
- Let’s Get Real About Death – explores how society’s familiarity and comfort with death has changed over time and how to recapture that comfort.
- POLST and/or AD? – Compares and contrasts these two documents and how they work together.
- DPOA-HC: A POLST Buster? – Discusses the role of the patient’s Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (DPOA) and tips for mediating DPOA (and family) objections to POLST orders.
- Are Nevada’s Providers Ready, Willing and Able to Implement – a discussion of the potential efficacy of the Nevada POLST Program to deliver the care patients want at the end of life.
- Section B: Avoid Conflict and Confusion – Explores Section B of the Nevada POLST form and possible areas of misunderstanding, confusion or conflict.
- Nevada POLST Celebrates One Year – An overview of what has been accomplished in the first year of the Nevada POLST Program.
- POLST, COLST, MOST, LaPOST…We All Gathered – A summary of the Annual National POLST conference
- Of Most Importance – Insights and tips for an effective conversation with patients about end-of-life treatment choices.
- Clipped Wings – Presents the challenges Nevada POLST faces with lack of funding for education, training and distribution of POLST forms that it provides throughout Nevada.
Back Issues of the Nevada POLST Post
- POLST Post – Winter 2018
- POLST Post – Fall 2017
- POLST Post June 2017
- POLST Post – March 2017
- POLST Post September 2016
- POLST Post June 2016
- POLST Post March 2016
- POLST Post September 2015
- POLST Post June 2015
- POLST Post March 2015