Make Sure Your AD or POLST is Available When Needed

Although nearly 30% of Nevadan’s have completed an Advance Directive (AD), it is rare they are available to health care providers when needed. To assure your AD or POLST form is available, it should be filed with either HealtHIE Nevada or Nevada Secretary of State’s Living Will Lockbox where your authorized health care provider is able to retrieve a copy of it 24/7 in case of emergency or illness. This system provides a simple and secure way to make sure your medical wishes are followed. Both are free services.

What Is the Difference Between the HealtHIE Nevada and Living Will Lockbox?

HeatlHIE Nevada
The HealtHIE Nevada Health Information Exchange (HIE) provides electronic clinical information exchange between physicians, hospitals, labs, pharmacies, and other healthcare providers. What this means is that the health records, prescription information, and results from tests, along with your AD and POLST are delivered instantly, accurately and securely where and when they are needed, instead of waiting for faxes or mail delivery. To see if your health care provider participates on HealtHIE Nevada, click here.

Living Will Lockbox
In order to submit your AD or POLST to the Living Will Lockbox, you must complete, sign, date and submit a Registration Agreement along with your AD and/or POLST. You may do this yourself or ask your health care provider to help you do this. Once submitted, you will receive confirmation by mail to the address provided on the Registration Agreement along with a registration card and other information regarding your registration. You should carry the registration card in your wallet. The Living Will Lockbox is only for ADs and POLSTs. No other medical information is available on this site, so in an emergency, it is very important that you have your Living Will Lockbox registration card on you in order for them to locate your record quickly.

You should also let your primary physician know you submitted documents to the Living Will Lockbox and provide your physician with your registration number for ease of locating them in case they are needed.

Should you later change your AD or POLST, you should update them in the Living Will Lockbox and give a copy to your health care provider. In order to do so in the Living Will Lockbox, you should complete an Authorization to Change Form.

To submit your AD, POLST and Registration Agreement to the Living Will Lockbox, please fax or send by mail to:


Postal Mail:
The Living Will Lockbox
c/o Nevada Secretary of State
101 North Carson St., Suite 3
Carson City, NV 89701