The following guides may help in determining just how to make decisions about what end-of-life care you want. Nevada POLST hopes these guides help answer some questions you may have concerning treatments you may or may not want near the end of life, or help in making decisions for your loved ones at the end of their lives.
Thank you to California Coalition for Compassionate Care and the Supportive Care Resource Center of Alleghany Health Network, both well respected organizations in the field of Advance Care Planning (ACP).
- Understanding the Language
- Words You May Hear. These videos explain terms your health care provider may use. Knowing what they mean is important to your decision-making.
- Which Documents are Needed?
- Documenting End-of-Life Decisions. These videos review the differences between and when you may need a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order, Do Not Intubate (DNI) order, Living Will, POLST and Power of Attorney for Health Care (DPOA-HC).
- What Questions to Ask
- Treatment Options to Consider (those designated with “(ML)” are available in several languages from the CCCC)
- Walk Me Through My Options – A video explaining the difference between Full Treatment, Supportive Care and Hospice.
- Artificial Hydration (ML) – a description of what it is and what to consider.
- Ventilator Support (ML) – a description of what it is and what to consider.
- CPR (Resuscitation) (ML) – What is involved and who might benefit.
- Tube Feedings (ML) – When is it used and who might benefit.